Project managers have a responsibility to ensure their project meetings are efficient and effective. Here are five things to start and five things to stop in meetings.
Five Things to Start:
- Start and end your meetings on time.
- Start your meetings by stating the purpose of the meeting.
- Start summarizing, validating, and capturing Risks, Action Items, Issues, and Decisions during your meetings as they surface.
- Start engaging your team members with well-thought-out questions.
- Start capturing off-topic items in your Parking Lot to be considered for future meetings.
Five Things to Stop:
- Stop letting people ramble on and on off topic (i.e., topic hopping).
- Stop having meetings with no agenda and stated purpose.
- Stop letting meetings go over time.
- Stop allowing ego-centric individuals dominate your meetings.
- Stop having meetings when things may be handled in a different manner.
Questions: What else would you start or stop in meetings?