Project managers have a responsibility to ensure their project meetings are efficient and effective. Here are five things to start and five things to stop in meetings.
Photo courtesy of DollarPhoto.com
Five Things to Start:
- Start and end your meetings on time.
- Start your meetings by stating the purpose of the meeting.
- Start summarizing, validating, and capturing Risks, Action Items, Issues, and Decisions during your meetings as they surface.
- Start engaging your team members with well-thought-out questions.
- Start capturing off-topic items in your Parking Lot to be considered for future meetings.
Five Things to Stop:
- Stop letting people ramble on and on off topic (i.e., topic hopping).
- Stop having meetings with no agenda and stated purpose.
- Stop letting meetings go over time.
- Stop allowing ego-centric individuals dominate your meetings.
- Stop having meetings when things may be handled in a different manner.
Questions: What else would you start or stop in meetings?